The Save of the Day Foundation, in conjunction with the Utica Comets, are proud to announce the winners of the 3rd Annual Comets Coloring Contest. Children in grades kindergarten through fifth, from 37 different schools, demonstrated their artistic abilities in creative and unique ways. Schools within the Mohawk Valley were given two different pictures to enter into the contest in the two different age/grade categories. The objective of the contest is to engage local youth within the area – those who are already fans as well as those who have not been introduced to the team.
Winners were selected by Utica Comets staff and players last month. In addition to prizes such as Street Hockey Equipment, iPad Minis and Pizza Parties with Audie, the top winners will be invited out for a VIP Gameday Experience with the Comets, where they will have the opportunity to watch warm-ups from the penalty box, ride the Hot-Rod Zamboni and meet members of the team after the game. Winning artwork will be on display behind Section 205 beginning on Friday, February 23.
Celebrating its 15th Anniversary serving the community, the Save of the Day Foundation began with a focus on education with the vision that nothing is more vital to a child’s success than the fundamentals learned in the classroom. Save of the Day supports organizations that focus on formal K-12 education programs that innovate and motivate children to stay in school, do well academically and encourage higher education. Understanding the importance of a safe learning environment, the Foundation supports a range of opportunities for youth to develop their own special talents. To learn more about the Save of the Day Foundation, visit SODFoundation.com.
The Utica Comets are proud to announce the following students as the 2017-18 Coloring Contest winners:
- Nathan Verri, Benton Hall Academy
- Sarah Garrabrant, Bradley Elementary School
- 1st place: Logan St. James, New York Mills Elementary School
- 2nd place: Emma Stewart, N.A. Walbran Elementary School
- 3rd place: Rylee Gaffney, Harts Hill Elementary School
- 1st place: Marlowe Schrader, Harry M. Fischer Elementary School
- 2nd place: Harper Pole, Marcy Elementary School
- 3rd place: Anthony DiPierro, E.R. Hughes Elementary School
- 1st place: Robert Shaver, Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School
- 2nd place: Ella Stevenson, Hugh R. Jones Elementary School
- 3rd place: Landon Pearsall, Harts Hill Elementary School
- 1st place: Benjamin Fiorentino, Notre Dame Elementary School
- 2nd place: Jems Santana, Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School
- 3rd place: Logan Lonis, Poland Central School
- 1st place: Omar Alfalahi, Albany Elementary School
- 2nd place: Maria Ogiyevych, Westmoreland Road Elementary School
- 3rd place: Sadie Lubey, General Herkimer Elementary School
- 1st place: Brennan Withers, Harts Hill Elementary School
- 2nd place: Tatiyana Fosu, General Herkimer Elementary School
- 3rd place: Ava Jane Werczynski, Reese Road Elementary School